For majority of people, a beautiful smile is the most obvious benefit of orthodontics. However, a stable and proper bite, where upper and lower teeth fit perfectly together is the most important benefit of getting orthodontic treatment. At the end of treatment, not only will you feel more confident, but a healthy and stable bite will help you to preserve your teeth and smile for a lifetime! At Impressions Orthodontics in Calgary we offer just that in the best environment possible.
Why should malocclusion (bad bite) be treated?
According to the research done by the American Association of Orthodontists, untreated malocclusion can result in a variety of problems:
- Crowded teeth are more difficult to properly brush and floss, which may contribute to tooth decay and/or gum disease (bone loss).
- Protruding teeth are more susceptible to accidental chipping.
- Cross-bites can result in unfavorable growth and uneven tooth wear.
- Open-bites can result in tongue-thrusting habits and speech impediments.
- Deep bites can lead to excessive wear of your teeth.
- An uneven bite can also lead to Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) concerns.
How long does it take to correct my smile/bite?
- Treatment time depends on many factors, including the severity of the problem, patient cooperation with appliance and elastic wear, oral hygiene, and regular attendance at the scheduled appointments.
- Orthodontic treatment can range anywhere from 6-24 months depending on the complexity of the case.
- Patients grow at different rates and will respond to orthodontic treatment at different rates, so the time to case completion may differ from the original estimate.